Hi Cool Cats,
I'm not sure if I've ever really mentioned this before, but I'm an Islander, born-and-raised. These days I'm just as likely to be found wandering around London or Berkshire, but the Isle of Wight is still (and probably always will be) where I consider to be my real home.
|Not too shabby, huh?|
I've been hiding out down here quite a lot this summer (I don't think I'd be able to survive this heat without being able to dip my head in the sea at regular intervals!) and Baloo agrees; much as he loves the hustle and bustle as what we bumpkins refer to as 'the Mainland', he's a beach bum at heart.
Whenever I come down here, I find myself irresistibly drawn to my old childhood pursuits. These include (but are not limited to):
(1) Tree-climbing: like a (red) squirrel.
(2) Country drives - I say "drives", but I'm actually being driven. At the grand old age of 23, that pesky pink license still alludes me.
(3) Playing in the Sea - My favourite game is one called Pirates, where you jump on to other peoples vessels and capsize them, leaping back to your own without getting wet (if you're a very skilled pirate), and infuriating friends, siblings, and the occasional unsuspecting stranger as you make your escape, calling back "TAKE THAT, YE SCAR FACED MANGEY CURRRRR!!!!".
Ahem. It is possibly best to avoid any kind of water-based activities with me.
(4) Treasure Hunting - There are few things that give me more pleasure than wandering through little village stalls and shops on a sunny afternoon. My room is stuffed full of knick-knacks appropriated on such meanderings.
(5) Cream Teas - no explanation necessary, right?
(6) Fancy Dress - here is a fetching picture of me dressed as a unicorn, for your pleasure.
Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be interested in a few posts which detail (slightly more thoroughly) my favourite places and activities down here? Either just for funsies, or if you've been considering a visit? A sort of Mona's Guide to the Isle of Wight style thing?
I have a feeling that Baloo and I could write a pretty comprehensive guide, and it is the year of the Staycation, apparently!
Please let me know what you think!
Enjoy the sunshine,